Fairfield Pediatric Dentistry - Chew Chew Junction is pleased to offer your child the option of comfortable, safe, and effective sedation dentistry when indicated. When treatment is complete, your child will have no recollection of the time it took, the pain, the noise, or the discomfort. Our pediatric dental patients who benefit from sedation dentistry have:
- A fear or anxiety of being at the dentist
- A hard time sitting still for long periods of time
- A hard time getting (and staying) numb from anesthetics
- Extensive dental treatment that is beyond the patient's cooperation level to complete in 3-5 dental visits
What is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry allows your pediatric dentist to provide a variety of dental treatments safely and comfortably for children who experience anxiety when visiting the dentist. There are several benefits to sedation dentistry, including:
- No memory of undergoing the procedure
- No sense of time while under sedation
- No sense of smell or sound
- No fear or anxiety during treatment
How are sedatives administered?
- Inhalation — Nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, is the most frequently used method for easing mild to moderate anxiety. Recovery is quick so your child can resume normal activities immediately.
- Oral — An extremely common technique for dental sedation is oral sedation. It is easy and does not require the use of needles. Your child will present to our office not having eaten or drank anything since the night before and will drink a medication about an 15 minutes before the appointment. Then, we will ensure your child is properly monitored while the dental treatment is safely completed.
Please contact our practice to schedule a consultation, discuss these options with Dr. Skelton and Dr. Kennedy, and find out which sedation dentistry method may be right for your child.